Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Plates progressing



So there's my wheel. I never claimed to be tidy! My wheel was made by Stowe Potters, it's a Patrick Sargeant momentum wheel. It is lovely to use, quiet and powerful, especially at low speeds. Much better than my old cone drive electric one. I'm pleased it was designed with Patrick Sargeant, I remember he visited when I was at college. His throwing style made an impact on me and I regularly recall a couple of points he made. Shame he's no longer around.



Recently I've had a number of plates ordered. This is an item I've always struggled with. I'm finding they tend to warp or crack. I've switched to a grogged porcelain from Valentines, which has helped a lot. Still unsure whether to go with a footring or just a flat base.

Other projects under way at present include a set of eggcups with plates, a set of teaplates, a stoop and a dog bowl.

With the weather as it is (cold and damp - 0 to 14 degrees C over the last few days) things are taking a long time to dry. Late spring and early autumn seem to be best for potting - things dry but not to quick. Oh well, at least nothings freezing. I have the radiator on frost setting in case.

1 Comments:

Blogger trailbee said...

Hello, Paul. I saw your comment in Jeremy's blog, and wondered who you were. Thanks for the photos.

4:54 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home